That's right, I recently finished my first book. Reading, that is. I can't recall the last time I read a book outside of school. It was a very good read that was recommended by a classmate. It's "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. It begins on a winter night in 1964 when a blizzard forces a doctor to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love.
At times it was hard to read, but I pulled through and am glad I did. Now, I'm looking for my next book to read.
Does anyone have any suggestions??????
Christmas 2011
14 years ago
3 comments:
I saw that in movie form... Hallmark presentation or something like that. As for suggestions... I enjoyed Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons. And as soon as I can get my hands on the ibrary copy, I am reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.
If you haven't read The Shack...I strongly recommend it!
See if you can make it through the book "Atlas Shrugged" It will give you a whole new outlook on life. It was a great read.
Post a Comment